Monday, August 23, 2010

Yikes

Today I have spent quite a while contemplating how I can be a better mother, and continue to learn and grow on this journey of motherhood. I know many of us get frustrated and lose patience extremely easily. But I for one always try to do better every day and learn from my mistakes. I have never been a mother before, and it is not fair for my boys to have to deal with all of the mistakes that I make as a mom.....I completely understand that I am not perfect, but that is why I try my hardest to do the best I can and learn constantly!
Anyway, I was just thinking of my own motherhood journey today because of some crazy examples that I had seen and heard of recently. My mom and I took a walk with the boys this morning and ended up at a park near our home. There were other children there with their mothers or caregivers, as it was a beautiful day and everyone wanted to be outside. But what baffled me is the complete lack of responsibility shown by these mothers! I was blown away! There were multiple times when I had to spot a child so that they wouldn't fall off equipment that was way too large for them (and actually catch one of them as they did fall!), or tell a child to go back to where their mother was sitting because they were just walking down the street without ANYONE watching them! What is the matter with people? These kids were younger then mine were and they were just left to their own devices so that these moms could chat for a few minutes. Then on the way home, there was a little one who was probably no more then 18 months to 2 years old, just running down the sidewalk next to a busy street with NO parent in sight!!! I am just baffled.
Side note, but related, www.momsoncall.com......amazing, love it, adore it. That is all.

1 comment:

Peter and Lesha said...

You are a great mom, anyone who can do two at once deserves a medal. I am with you though I think Peter gets embarrassed when we go places cause I will just call them on it I will be like um is that your kid? or I think your kid is... anyway I know there are times when moms go nuts cause I have been there but yeah in general some moms need to realize that they were not sent here to chat about their busy lives with their friends but rather be attentive to their kids when needed. amen sister