Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Water water everywhere

Last week we had some major flooding in our area, as well as many other parts of Western Washington. A combination of snow storms one week and high temps with massive rain the next was not a great one for us. Thankfully where Teage and I live we did not receive anything in the way of flooding, but there are many who live just down the road who did. After much of the water had subsided, we decided to drive down to Snoqualmie Falls and see how large the water flow was, as well as check out the damage all the flooding had done to Snoqualmie itself. We were shocked and saddened to see first hand the amount of devastation in just our little area. There were homes with all of their belongings, from mattresses to television sets, just thrown out onto their front yards because nothing was salvageable. A recycle and garbage center was set up in the middle of the city for all those who needed to dispose of their belongings, and the number of bins and trucks was just unbelievable. We are keeping those families in our thoughts and prayers continually. The falls after all of the rain and snow...I don't think that I have ever seen it so large

Teage and I with the boys after our little hike out to the falls. We are soaked....and not because it was raining, but because of the heavy mist that cascaded down on us from the water flow of the falls.

These pictures are not great, they were taken out of the window of a moving car. :) But, they give you just a taste of what these poor residents were going through during the flooding.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I had to take a second and third look! The falls are HUGE! I've never seen them that big either, I kept thinking you were somewhere other than Snoqualmie. That must have been fun to see them look so beautiful.

Karine said...

Wow, I thought that was Niagra Falls!:) That is incredible, and so sad for those who the flooding affected.
I am glad you documented this for yourself and us.
Love ya,
Katers

Peter and Lesha said...

that is terrible, I need to take Carson to the falls, Peter and I have been talking about going since we have been married, I have never been. we will need to just do it that looks fun. I love the look on (who are you carrying? face, that is precious. I need a way to tell them apart, I don't like having to refer to them as who is holding them. They are so cute though and looking so grown up. yeah we had tons of flooding here too. I joked with Peter that we might have to get our row boat out but really it got close. we were very lucky though miss you guys hope all is well.