Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy Veterans Day

Today we celebrate and honor those who have served our country...those who have fought honorably and selflessly to protect our lives and freedom. I think that Veterans Day is often overlooked...just another day we get off of school or work. But today Teage and I tried to make it a bit more than that, and really look back and honor those of our family members who have valiantly served.

My grandfathers on my mother's and stepmother's side of the family both served in the military for quite a few years. I love hearing their stories of this particular time in their life, though I am sure it is difficult at times to share.

My Grandpa Bailey served in World War II, on an aircraft carrier for the US Navy. He was young and he was brave. Doesn't he also look handsome in his uniform? :)

My Grandpa Pfeifer served in the Korean Ward for the US Army, as well as being in the Military Police. He was also a great example of courage. I wish that I had a picture of him at this time in his life to share...

I also just wanted to take the time to say "Thank You" to all who are actively serving our country at present. Everyday we hear of the dangers that these brave young men and women have to face, and though I know they will never read this blog, I just wanted to say how grateful I am for their service to me and my family. -Erin

For me, Teage, today has always been meanigful to me. Mostly because it falls around Jesse's birthday, but even more so since I lost my Grandpa, Laie Fonoimoana in 1999. He's laid to rest in the Tahoma National Cemetary, which just happens to be about 20 minutes from our house. I find myself going there more and more often. It's probably because we don't have something like this for Jesse, and I feel his presence there too. It's been fun having lunch there, reading books, or just stopping by and talking. Today was especially fun because we brought Dylan and Lucas there to visit their "pa-pa pa-pa". They were so good! In fact, Dylan's middle name was going to be Senturi (Granpa's middle name), but I slipped and told that to my lovely sister Tawna year's ago, and she pinned that on her first-born. Love ya Tawna! But, the boys did so well, and that same peaceful spirit was there again today!


A little about my Granpda. He served in Korea and Vietnam, and also played in the NFL for the Giants! He was always so big to me (he's full Samoan), but yet was so gentle to us. Biggest hands I've ever seen too, and they hurt when you got in trouble! He had the greatest Polynesian singing voice too, and I loved to hear him sing. He was a very hard worker, and the only time I ever saw him relax was to watch football on Sunday's. But he would usually fall asleep in the recliner. All of us Grandkid's gould fight each other when he got up, because we would go into that recliner for all the change that had fallen out of his pockets! I think he did that on purpose.

I love my Grandpa Fonoi and for all of his hard work, dedication and love of family. He truly was and is an example to me of exactly that, and he will forever be remembered as someone that magnified these things to the fullest. Love ya Grandpa and miss ya tons, but know that I will see you again one day!






4 comments:

Karine said...

What a beautiful tribute from you both. Reading about your loved ones that I have never met, helped me to know them through you. You honor their legacy with this heartfelt tribute.
Thank you for this post!
Love ya guys,
Karine
PS the pics of the boys kissing the grave marker is precious.

Simon Tribe -ooh ha haa said...

What love and respect you have for your ancestors. I admire you both so much. That's how veterans day should be spent.

Mara said...

Erin, you are so well-rounded. Good for your for starting your boys young. Thanks for all of your wisdom and insight- Mara

Peter and Lesha said...

so great that you start that tradition of visiting the graves we did it as kids and I am glad now, it taught us to be thankful and to take the time to honor those who fought. That is great.