Sunday, December 21, 2014

Sears Reunion

My old store, Sears 1st Ave, just closed a few months ago. This iconic store was the longest standing Sears store in the country, with a ton of amazing history. They started in the Sears building on 1st Ave for over a century, beginning as the catalog department for this long standing retail establishment. My grandmother actually worked there many many years ago in their catalog department! I had the opportunity to be the operations manager there for a few years right before I had my boys, and though it was extremely difficult and trying, I learned so much during my time there. And most of all, I made some amazing friends. Here is the headline for an article written a few months ago:

Sears closing store, ending a century in Sodo building

Troubled retailer Sears will close its Sodo store and auto center at the Starbucks Center, a building where it has operated for more than a century and that played a key role in its westward expansion. The closure will result in 79 lost jobs

On one of the last open days of the store, I was able to go in and see some of my buddies one last time. These three were definitely my favorites! :) At the top, my HR manager, Deanne. She and I hit it off from the very first day. We were able to commiserate together when things weren't going right, celebrate together when they were, and have a ton of fun in the process. She was one of the only ones that I could be completely honest and open with while I was there, her  being HR and me being operations. It was hugely helpful at times!
The last two pictures our of my amazing receiving team members, Rich and Ian. Rich and I became really close buddies by the end of my time there. He was my RTV guy, and the best one in our district! I could always count on him, no matter what. He was not only great at his job, but also just a good man inside and out. He always looked out for me, even when some of the other receiving team members were going a bit crazy. He made sure that I was taken care of, and I was always so thankful to have him!
Ian was one of my very first hires as the operations manager at the store. He was young, still in high school at the time, looking for a part time job. I couldn't believe when I went back almost 10 years later that he was still there!!! Ian always felt like a little brother to me, and I always loved seeing his smiling face around the store! I know he has so many adventures planned for his life, and I couldn't be more proud of him!
I love these three, and am going to miss them so much!!!
Farewell Sears 1st Ave, you will be missed!

No comments: