Sunday, August 17, 2008

Life List- Complete a Triathlon

CHECK! :) Last weekend Teage and I had the opportunity to go to Bellingham to visit some college friends, and give me the opportunity to compete in a triathlon! OK, so it was a mini-triathlon, but it still counts! My friends Julie, Kim, and I have been training together for the past few months so all of us could compete together in all three events. We were thinking about doing the full tri as a team and have each one of us just do one event. But in the end we wanted to challenge ourselves, so we decided to do all three. The tri was held at Lake Padden in Bellingham and consisted of a 1/4 mile swim in the lake, a 5 mile bike, and a 2.7 mile run. Doesn't sound too menacing when you put it on paper like that, but it was tough! Even with our training, none of us had done all three in a row previously. But I am happy to say that I completed it! That was my goal, and I did it! I didn't even care about the time, I just wanted to get it done. All three of us completed and we felt great afterwards!


Teage, the boys, and I stayed with Kim for the weekend, and on Saturday (the day of our tri) morning we all woke up to find it pouring outside! All these beautiful sunny days, and the one day that we needed the sun, it was raining! :) Kim and I would not let that deter us though, we had been working too hard for this day. So we packed up our stuff and went to the lake to brave the weather. When we began the race it was still very cloudy and raining slightly on us as we swam across the lake. But by the time we ended our bike and began to run, the sun was coming out and it made for a beautiful finish to our day! The boys did fantastic as well. At the beginning they were a little cranky because of the rain and it was about nap-time. But Teage kept walking around with them in the stroller and by the end of the race, they were fast asleep. I was so thankful to have my family there with me as I finished!

Later that night, we had the great opportunity to go out to dinner with a lot of our buds from Bellingham that we don't get to see often. Kim, Julie, Peter and Lesha, and Kaitlyn and Trevor. We had a wonderful time with everyone reminiscing, relaxing, and just enjoying each other. Thanks for a great weekend everyone!


Kim and Julie, thank you both for your support and inspiration for our project! You both are great examples to me and I am so thankful to have completed this tri with you!


Waiting for the race to start, braving the rain! :)


Kim and I finished with the swim, about to begin our bike ride


Kim and I at the finish line. I am on the left....can you tell we were a bit excited? I love how Kim is throwing her arms in the air! :)


Our little team at the end of the race...we did it! :)


Teage waiting for me at the end of the race, he was so supportive! :)

12 comments:

Laurie said...

GOOD for you!!!!! I can't imagine even thinking of doing that. You are my hero! How fun to have the family there with you for support too. That's great. :)

Casey said...

Yah! I'm so glad you guys all got to do the Triathlon. I wish I could have been there to be your cheerleader and hang out with you after!

Mara said...

You're my hero! I have always wanted to do a tri and its never panned out. Mostly because I've chickened out. :) Congrats to you...you're amazing! Love, Mara

Mom-entarily Out of Order said...

That is so awesome! My neice was in that same triathon with you. You are amazing!

manders said...

You GO Girl! That is so awesome what an accomplishment. I am about to do the 13mile run in woodinville and keep wanting to quit. But after seeing what you just did which was a lot harder than what I am going to do made me realize that I need to go for it and not give up. Thanks gil.
luv ya

Peter and Lesha said...

great job, thanks for hanging out we loved seeing you guys. we will have to join you next year

Zack + Julie said...

Wahoooo! We did it!

Karine said...

You totally rock girl!! Wow, you have really raised the bar for us young mom's. I guess that means I have to put down my twinkie and turn off the television....nahhh! I will just live vicariously through your ambitions!
Love ya Reesers!
Katers

Steve, Lynn & Brian said...

congratulations!!! What a wonderful accomplishment. It is so impressive, especially knowing what a busy mom you are. thanks for the inspiration. I think I'll have a cookie :)

SusGus said...

You rock! I'm so impressed with you.

Simon Tribe -ooh ha haa said...

You are THE Woman!!! I should have thought sooner to look on your blog for a run-down of the event. Way to go accomplishing your goals! You inspire me. :) By the way, the blueberry pie was a HUGE hit! Even with me! Thanks for teaching me to make it :)

Erin & Teeny said...

Yeah!!! I LOVE the running pics, you've got some cajones... but I already knew that. :) Love you girl!