Thursday, August 21, 2008

Stephenie Meyer Mania

If you know me well, you probably know that I have a passion for books and movies. I just can't seem to get enough when it comes to those two arts. And lately, like many many others, I have been pretty obsessed with the author Stephenie Meyer and her Twilight Series. I have now read the series through twice, think about it way too often, and have recommended it to everyone I know. I can't seem to get enough of Edward and Bella! :) I also think that Stephenie Meyer is just a genious when it comes to literature. She has a way of writing that brings you right into the story, to where you think that you are a part of the scene and know these characters as friends. I really admire her for her talent.
A little over a week ago I had the great pleasure of going to see her at the "Breaking Dawn Concert Series" and book signing at Beneroya Hall. I can't tell you how excited I was to see Stephenie Meyer face to face and listen to her talk more in depth about the book series that I love so much. And she definitely did not disappoint. The concert was amazing, I am so thankful that I was able to go. I went with my friends Bridget, Julie, Karine, and her friend Sarah, all of us huge fans of Stephenie Meyer. Our seats were amazing, I felt like we were only 10 feet from the stage. The lead singer of Blue October who inspired some of the characters in the Twilight books was there as well, and played many of his songs that were close to Stephenie Meyer's heart. Stephenie answered questions from the audience, and gave us a more in depth look into her mind, the characters, and the series in general. And after all of that, we each had our turn to have our book signed by the author. There were at least 2,400 people there and we were dead last, so I had quite a bit of time to think about what I would say to her when I had my chance. Finally when it was time for my book to be signed, I quickly just told her that I was thankful for her example of being a member of the church, and wife and mother, and also being able to follow her dreams. I know that wasn't much, but I was proud of myself that I said it when I had the chance. :) All in all, we had a wonderful night and I am very thankful to have had the chance to see her in person!

Bridget and I posing in front of the newest book in the series

Katers and Reesers

Justin Furstenfeld from Blue October

Stephenie Meyer answering questions from the audience...she was very humble and down to earth.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Her writing did the same for me but I will say I was disappointed with the final book. Now the movie is coming out a bit earlier than originally advertised. We'll have to get a big group to go together. How fun for you to meet her!!!

Simon Tribe -ooh ha haa said...

Thanks for giving me the scoop on the night! I'm so glad you went and had so much fun :)